Olympus XB AF 44

Went to a local thrift store and picked up an Olympus XB AF 44 for $10. At first it didn't work but my husband was able to clear out the battery acid, pop in a new battery, and then it started working. The only weird thing is that the flash always goes off. So, anyways, I thought I would shoot a roll to see how it would work. 

I learned a few things:

1) the use of flash is similar to a Polaroid. Since it always goes off, simply make sure your subjects are at least two-four feet away.
2) composition wise, it seems like the lens is a wide angle, and the pictures give off a vignette feel, so keep your subjects more centralized. 
3) the pictures come out pretty well in the best light, particularly those hours before sunset and after sunrise. 
4) beware of red-eye
5) some of the frames have serious light leak issues. 

I'm pretty sure I used Fuji Superia 400. Developed and scanned at Richard Photo Lab with Autumn DeWilde's color profile. 

All in all, it's a pretty cool camera. I just stuck in a roll of Portra 160 and I'm taking it around wherever we go to shoot some of the things I would normally with my iPhone. One step closer to staying in the moment while still documenting life. 


















Comments